Thursday, January 15, 2009

Small Town Things

I am living in a fairly small town. The sign when you enter says that it has a population of 4,500 people. Which is a decent size I suppose but not when you had been living in a considerably larger city. So my hometown is far from the size of Chicago, and I don't even know the actually population but it is at least 14 times larger than there I'm currently living.

My new little town is positioned on a highway with five lanes. However, it has (as far as I can tell) only one stop light. There is the post office, 2 grocery stores, the goverment offices, a luandary mat, an insurance company, a bank (maybe 2), a Dairy Queen and several other places that I have yet to explore. It is rather cute, if you can call a town cute. I have a feeling that the town streches out farther, but haven't spent that much time exploring it yet.

A bit on a few things in town.

The Post Office is pretty small, I've been there several times. I had to order keys for my mail box and found it quite facinating. I was waiting in line and I watched as each person would take their turn being helped. Some would talk in spanish to the post office worker, others in English. He would respond in whatever language he was talk to in. And I was left standing there thinking 'now there is something you don't see ever in Michigan'.

I went the other day, with Michele to do laundary. I've never done my laundary at a laundary mat. My Mom did it for most of the time when I was at home. It was more efficient for us all to do our laundary together and save on water, Until more recently when we got a new washing machine and it is so efficient she made me start doing my own. Which I didn't mind because I like doing laundary. So Michel and I had to carry all our laundary down the stairs (maybe next time I'll just throw it down) and put it in the car. Drive to the laundary mat. At which point we had to carry it all in. If you don't have quarters you go to the store next door and exchange money for a roll.

The washers at the laundary mat are considerably smaller than my Mom's washer at home, which is funny cause they are so large on the outside. Anyway they worked great. There are not nearly as many dryers at the laundary mat as there are washers. And I was told that some of them will only give you 5 minutes per quarter but others may give you as much as 8-10 minutes. So we had to watch the dryers closely. The whole ordeal took about an hour and a half. It didn't seem like that long though.

Here on the To Every Tribe base they are in the process of building a laundary room. It is getting very near being done. It is a small building in back of the office building and close to the apartment building that has 2 rooms. One will hold 3 washers, 3 dryers, a wash tube and a table for folding clothes. The other side will be storage space. We have all been enjoying watching the progress on the building.

That's all for now... more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment