Sunday, February 1, 2009

Community

A few short days after arriving in Texas at my new home, I drove Rachel to the airport, to catch her flight back to Michigan. Also, to our family and most important in her mind I'm sure, her wonderful husband Ben.

As I walked out of the airport door and she walked through security I turned and looked back. I was so afraid to. I wanted to see her face one last time but I didn't. I knew that if I did see her face, she would see mine and we would both start crying. I think that was one of the main reasons we didn't wait long together in the waiting area. In our minds why postpone the inevitable.

So she rode up the escalator and I walked out the door to my car and drove away. Leaving my last family member to be whisked away by a plane. Now my entire family is over 1,500 miles away.

I was happy to get back to my new home, because I knew Tommi would be waiting for me in the office and I could get to work. I expected the transition to be hard. I was hoping to have a lot of time to read since I wouldn't have any family and relatively few people I knew. However, most of my books wouldn't fit in my car.

As it ends up, it doesn't really matter that most of my books haven't made it down here yet, because I've barely had time to read them. So far I think I've picked up a book a handful of times since I've been here. Other than my Bible, of course, which I read every day.

I've introduced you to everyone who lives in the the apartment building however there are still a few you have not met.

First of all our translators, who we use most of the time when we cross the border into Mexico. There are four of them and they are all college aged. There is Irian and his sister Iliana, Burger, and last but not least Bianca. Since they are all about the ages of the singles that live in the apartment building, they frequently come over and hang out.

And the last people you have not met, are people that have offices in the office building. There is Tommi (Office Manager) and her husband David (President or the Chief as we often call him), and there is Ron Sanford (not sure his office title) and his wife Margie. Now you have officially been introduced to everyone here!

When I left home on Jan. 1, I was very sad to leave my family. We all cried. Even my Dad. I had a brief moment when I thought we might all just die. I know this is totally unreasonable, people have made it through far worse things than a family member moving away, but it was pretty intense.

I was excited, but extremely sad to think of all the things I was going to miss. Rachel and Ben has just moved back to Michigan, and Daniel and Marissa (my buddies as I love to call them) and I were getting closer as siblings and best friends by the seconds. I love being anywhere those 2 are. From soccer games, to HPA shows, to KAT programs, to Wendy's for frostys to the kitchen for a late night snacks, those two are my amazing buddies and always will be.

To not be part of all those events was almost unthinkable. I mean who was going to make me laugh until I cried, give me standy upy hugs, get Frosty's with me, and scary me in the bathroom in the morning??

But I know that moving to work with To Every Tribe was the right thing to do. I think I always knew that it was but that doesn't mean I didn't wrestle with it for many months. That doesn't me that it didn't cause me tears, and agony. God was telling me what to do and I had two choices obey or disobey.

I choose to obey. That didn't make it automatically easy. It is a challenge to think that I it could be another 3 months or longer until I see my family again. The longest time of not seeing my family I've ever experienced was three weeks.

But back to the the title of my post. I've mentioned everyone here by name. Even though my blood relatives are very far way I have an amazing family here. They are the body of Christ! We are family by a different kind of blood, the blood of our Savior and Redeemer Jesus Christ!

Tonight was the super bowl. I'm not a football fan but even I watch the super bowl. Usually with the Young People's group from my church. I was slightly worried about who I was going to watch it with this year. I shouldn't have been concerned. Turns out the Super Bowl is an excellent reason to have a community meal complete with wings! Which is exactly what happened. Mark and Alex were out grilling them this afternoon while we waited for the kickoff.

We eat anywhere from one to three meals together a week. Many of the other meals during the week are shared with with two families or one family and some singles. Every day I walk down the sidewalk and here multiple little voices saying "Hi Miss Steph".

I've been asked the question "Does your Mommy let you chew gum?", "Where do you live?" Many of the little kids find it quite funny that I live in the same building as they do. I've pulled little kids around in wagons, had lunch with one of the little girls, showed them how glow sticks work and how to make them into bracelets. I've given hi fives and also received them. The kids still have a hard time understanding that my Mommy lives very far away. Go ahead and try to explain that to a three year old.

Another thing I was quite concerned about when I moved down here was, where I was going to get my hugs from. I love giving hugs and getting hugs from my Mom. I think some scientist somewhere has said that we each need a certain number of hugs a day. Well, I always love hugging my Mom. I spent a considerable amount of time, before I moved trying to convince my Mom that she must move to Texas with me. Sadly, she was not convinced.

However, I get I think on average about 4 hugs a day. Although, if I recalculated I think it might be more. The women here (all of them actually are mothers) make sure I get my hugs. For which I am very grateful. They have also brought over many things for Michele and I to eat.

Michele and I like to lay on the couches in our apartment and read but we also enjoy hanging out and talking to any of the couples who live here. I was over at Mark and Belinda's on Friday night and just enjoyed sitting there with them and watching them put their two daughters to bed. It reminded me of my childhood and being put to bed by my parents.

Every Tuesday and Thursday we have Chapel. I love it. Scott plays guitar and Caleb plays the keyboard and we all sing. The Families bring their children and Ron gives us a devotional. The worship time with the families is amazing and Ron faithful challenges us with God's word. One of my favorite devotionals he has given us went over the attributes of God. It was amazing to be reminded of some of them. Things I learned as a child but had little meaning because I didn't know him personally. It brought me to a place of simple worship and awe of our Awesome God!

Another thing I must mention is the Church I am attending. It is very good. The teaching is solid and I am feed and challenged every Sunday and Wednesday. The name of the Church is Divine Providence. If you ever get down this way, I strongly encourage you to attend. It is just over a year old and has grown a lot. The people are joyful, friendly and you can tell they love God and seek after him daily. DP has Sunday morning Sunday school, and church. A Wednesday night Bible Study, Thursday night Prayer Meeting, their men's group meets every Saturday at 7am and the Ladies Group meets once a month on Saturday.

Also here at To Every Tribe the Ladies have been meeting on Thursdays to pray for each other. I am encouraged by how open the ladies are with each other and how they genuinely care for each other.

I'm continually amazed by the Body of Christ here, I'm encouraged and lifted up countless times during the day. We share each others burdens and joys and pray for each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment