Sunday, February 8, 2009

Water

When I first arrived in Texas, I recall driving through town and wondering what on earth windmills were doing down here. I though maybe, just perhaps there were some Dutch people around somewhere. However, at the same time I thought that was rather an unlikely thought. Dutch people near the border to Mexico? Not likely.

Shortly, after arriving I was to learn that nearly everyone drinks filtered water down here. I thought that was rather odd. In Michigan we drink the water out of the faucet. It tastes perfectly fine. So, I asked if it was safe to drink the water out of the faucet. I was told yes it is safe. I thought maybe the fact that we are so close to the border might have something to do with the fact that the people don't drink the water out of the faucet. But apparently that is not the case.

I tried the water. Tasted fine to me but seeing how everyone else drinks filtered water I figured there must be something to it. (Over the last month I've noticed that the water can sometimes have a rather interesting smell, it is a unpleasant smell I might add.)

Meanwhile I was left thinking that every time I needed water I'm going to have to run to the grocery store and buy it?? No thank you! It was then explained that you buy the gallon jugs, filled with water at the grocery store, and you refill them. At the little buildings in town. What little buildings? Where? You know the buildings. No, I'm sorry I don't know what you are talking about...

Well, come to find out that is what all the little buildings (some with windmills on them) are. I'm not sure what else I thought they were. I guess I thought there was a little man who sat in there all day and sold something, coffee or slushies or something. How was I to know there was no such little man and it was for water? This is something we do not have in Michigan.

Needless to say now that we have that figured out, Michele and I get quite a bit of enjoyment and entertainment from loading the bottles into the car, driving there, putting a quarter into the slot, adjusting the filler bar and pushing the one gallon button and watching, in fascination as the bottle is filled.

I do not, however, enjoy carrying all the full gallon jugs back up the stairs to the apartment. It is actually a rather short lived annoyance so we endure. And Michele is very helpful. We both go and get the water and it is quite the trip.

So much for the little man selling the slushies.

5 comments:

  1. I will FOOOOOOLLLLLLL LLLLLOOOOWWW YOU!!!
    Completely FOOOOOOLLLLL LLLLOOOWWW YOU!
    I am yours...
    (hahaha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... a slushy guy sounds like way more fun! I finally read your blog! And I'm all caught up on your life!! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe dad will sell slushies on the side of the road this summer...
    you should mention it to him...
    (lol!)

    ReplyDelete